Friday, January 27, 2012

Staying Sane in January

This post is mainly for my sister, Camille, who lives in Washington. She wanted to see pictures of some of my projects this month. (The poor girl has to listen to me drone on about my latest decorating fiasco on a weekly basis.) One of my New Year's resolutions was to spend some time beautifying my home and making it more functional. I have had WAY too much fun doing this, and I need my husband to ground me from "Hobby Lobby" or I may never stop.

Project: Beautification
I started in my bedroom. Just before Christmas, I took a class and made this beautiful picture of the Salt Lake Temple. This is where Ryan and I were married almost 10 years ago, so I love waking up to this picture every morning. The next thing I wanted was to bring my bedroom to life. I have always wanted to make a flower arrangement in there, but I was having a hard time finding anything in the sea foam green color.

But I found this great pot that had the sea foam green on it, and I decided to just go with browns and creams for the arrangement. Thank goodness for my interior decorating friend, Kristen, who walked me through it so it wasn't so stressful.

I then found matching lamps for our bedside tables on KSL.com. I love having extra light!

This project is called decoration migration. The family picture has been sitting on this wall solo for over 2 years. I pulled the heart from the other side of the room and the saying from above my door (where you couldn't even see it because it's too short). I like this arrangement much better and it speaks "LOVE" to me.

This is my new dining table flower arrangement that got a little out of hand. It is about the size of a small child, but it certainly brightens up the room! (Kristen coached me a little on this one too.)

I got my kids' pictures taken together so I was excited to dedicate an entire wall to the "Little Wonders" in my life. Sorry about the glare. But I'll post these pics big soon.

This was a fun $15 project thanks to my sisters' donations. I got the pictures from my sister Rachel and the plate rack from Ryan's sister Heather (I think?) years ago. I just bought the plates and voila! A new wall in my kitchen.

Project: Organization
This may not look like much, but I am super proud of it. This is our office closet. I wish I had a "before" picture because it was a wreck. It had all this stuff stacked on top of each other and everything was always falling over. With the help of three shelves (thank you, Ryan, for your awesome installation skills), and some cute organization boxes from IKEA, I can get to everything I need and nothing falls on my head. Projects like this make me ridiculously happy. I've also made a few organization changes to some cupboards and drawers to make them more functional and revamped my recipe book so it is better organized and user-friendly. It is the most fun I've had in a long time (I know how lame that sounds, but it's true).

3 comments:

www.kearnspics.blogspot.com said...

Great job with those flower arrangements. They look great! I'm proud of you for tackling such a big project!

Julian said...

Can I have your decorating friend? Actually, it looks like you've mastered the home decor thing. Good job! --Alicia

Brooke and Aaron said...

I love your projects. You are very inspiring. I have a closet that sounds like your "before" one. I love how you wake up to your temple picture. Not sure if I could do flower arrangements. I don't have those skills, but I love yours! You're so crafty!