Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Warning: Depressing Post

I am REALLY tired today.

I am tired. . . of waking up every morning at 4:00am to a screaming baby and wondering if I should let Preston try to get himself back to sleep. Or if the whole family will have a better chance of getting a few more hours of sleep if I just get up and sooth him, knowing full well that he may never break this habit if I do.

I am tired. . . of vacuuming my front room over and over after my children spilled dishwashing detergent all over the place. No matter how many times I vacuum, I keep finding those little white and blue specks everywhere. Um, yikes! Those are toxic!

I am tired. . . of Preston waking up everyday from his nap cranky and inconsolable for hours, or sometimes even the entire rest of the day, because he only ever takes a 1-hour nap, but needs two hours or more. If he would just sleep more. . .

I am tired. . . of sweeping and mopping the floors. What more needs to be said?

I am tired. . . of feeling like I have to get upset before Adelyn will actually take me seriously and do what I have asked.

I am tired. . . of juggling two kids at the grocery store. It is always a little embarrassing when nearly everything in the cart has been opened and half-way eaten by the time we get to the check-out.

I am tired. . . of cooking, in general.

I am tired. . . of everything taking twenty times as long as it should to get done. I feel like I am trudging through mud all the time.

I am tired. . . of finding partially dismantled ornaments strewn all over my house. Why did I even put up the Christmas tree this year?

I am tired. . . of Adelyn changing her clothes four times a day, wanting to eat every 20 minutes, and being particular about what color her bowl and spoon are every time. Do you think it's too early to teach her how to cook her own meals and do her own laundry and dishes?

Okay, so that felt really good to write those things down. Miraculously, now I feel a lot less "tired." Life has just really felt heavy today. Thanks for letting me complain for a minute so I could get on with things. I hope it wasn't too terribly depressing. :) I know tomorrow will be a better day.

18 comments:

Our Family said...

I hope you have a better day tomorrow! I think you should look into a scooba I LOVE IT!

Lori said...

Not too depressing at all- I always feel better knowing I'm not the only one out there feeling that way!
Well, most of it I can't understand b/c I only have one child.
As for Preston- we're going through the same thing w/ Sean. Last night I was up from 330-530. He wakes up a lot b/c he's teething. I soothe him once and give him orajel but then tell Mike to cover his ears:) we even have earplugs!!
Good luck. Your day will be better (it probably is after you posted:)

Unknown said...

I don't think that is depressing at all it is just life. I also felt the same last week watching my boy(he's teething) and my niece and nephew for 5 days. I got so burnt out and remember thinking I don't know if I can handle more than one child. I know all I can do is take it one day at a time.

Hizzeather said...

Tell Ryan you need a spa day or just a massage! :) A half-day to yourself usually does the trick.

rabidrunner said...

I hear ya! Hang in there... it get's easier. (I won't add the "Enjoy it while it lasts - befor eyou know it they'll be gone!") I don't know about you, but those words on tired days don't help me appreciate the annoyances at all!

Anonymous said...

Well besides all of that, when I did get home from work I found happy kids, pizza, and an absolutely gorgeous home! What an amazing wife I have! :) I sure do love and appreciate all she does.

Olivia McCord said...

Actually, it's nice to hear someone feeling the same way you do...and I have another one coming in a matter of weeks...scary.

Heather said...

We need a GNO! (Girls night out!) :)

Jennica said...

I think our too oldest are a lot alike. There are days that I just want to run away and hide. Caleb is my Challenge. I have no great advice for you, just a friend that knows what you are going through. When I mop my floors I think I do it three times before they dry and I give up on them no have little foot prints through it. I will forever find potato flakes in my laundry room. 8)

seriously, I am there.

Angie O said...

Jules, I am and have always been amazed by you. You always seem to work so hard for your family. I'm sure it gets really hard and I'll feel the same way one day...man, I even feel like that now at times! But you really are great and I look up to you :)
P.S.-Your post is like poetry. You should submit it somewhere!

Knight Time said...

Hey Julia! It's Karen Coulsey Knight. I found your blog on DaNette's blog. Anyway, I hate those days too. I feel like I'm constantly cleaning and that my house looks like dynamite blew up in it. I totally understand what you're going through.

Leslie said...

What a great post! So realistic and relate-able. In order to eliminate (or reduce) a tiny few of these hassles, here's what I do (or do not): I never mop, I rarely vacuum (unless I can SEE a reason to), I invested in a cordless dust buster to quickly vacuum up small Emma-induced messes, and I only dust with a swiffer. If only I could find a way around dishes, bed making, and laundry. I would be one happy woman. Here's to trudging through the mud of tiredness!

You're wonderful, Juice!

Our Family said...

Hey can you emil me your new address! I am trying to send out newsletter!

Patty Sue Martin said...

Oh man Julia! I am so sorry! I didn't know Preston was still getting up. Knowing you, you had one bad day, but you still looked beautiful and your house was perfect! You are a great mom and do such a great job with your house!!

Chelsea said...

Hey it's good to hear i'm not the only one who has those days... you are such a good mama though- your kids and hubbie are lucky to have you

Ash said...

You actually made me laugh. Sometimes laughing is all you can do when things get crazy. Like finding poop on the floor when you have company over. Keeps you on your toes, these kids.

Haguewood Family said...

Amen. I feel your pain on days like that!

The Johnsons said...

The only thing that is depressing about this post is that you are so amazing and I am such a loser! You may be tired but you haven't given up. I have. We haven't decorated at all for Christmas because Lilly would just tear it apart. I stand in awe at you as I have for years!