Monday, June 16, 2008

Hogle Zoo

We met up with some of Ryan's family and my parents and sister and had a fabulous time at Hogle Zoo. The last time we went to the zoo was three days before Preston was born. It was hot and I was four days past my due date and I hoped the walking would somehow put me into labor. Although the experience was somewhat easier this time not being pregnant, I still carried Preston around on my tummy the whole time (in the Bjorn), but fortunately the weather was much nicer--overcast and cool. Incidentally, all the animals were more active (including our kids, as we found it nearly impossible to get them to sit still for a picture, so most of these pictures are of the animals).
Me with my kids.

Are zebras white with black stripes or black with white stripes? This one has a white belly, so the stripes are probably black, but who knows.

I thought these giraffes were awesome. Did you know that giraffes are six feet tall when they're born and they grow an inch a day!?

You gotta love these lion head drinking fountains. At first, Adelyn was a little unsure about putting her head into a lion's mouth. But after I assured her it was fake, she put her head, hands and arms in without another thought.

I love the elephants! What funny looking animals!

This is a really neat shot from the bird show. A bald eagle and the American flag--a nice tribute to our great country. The bird show was amazing!

Ryan is getting great at his camera skills. I think this one looks like a post card. What a beautiful rooster!

Me with Preston in the reptile house. He slept nearly the whole time we were at the zoo.

It is hard to tell, but there really is glass separating us from this leopard. And it's a good thing because he seemed really agitated while we were looking at him. They did a little cat show where they fed him bits of meat and showed us how they have trained him to stand on his hind legs and follow a play ball and other stuff. It was neat!

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, those are some really great shots! And I love the lion fountain it takes me back in time :).

Olivia McCord said...

It seems like every time I read your blog I think "that looks like so much fun, we should do that!" And don't you love have a red head?

Heather said...

how fun! i think we're going next weekend. good luck at the race this weekend! I'll be praying for you and Preston! :)

Heather said...

how fun! i think we're going next weekend. good luck at the race this weekend! I'll be praying for you and Preston! :)

Chelsea said...

I was just thinking how I wanted to go to the zoo- I think I may need to wait until Blake is a little older. So fun, love the pics!!

The Johnsons said...

My mom has pictures of her and all of her brothers drinking out of the lion fountain and we have pictures of us throughout our childhood drinking out of it too. We almost went on Wednesday but it didn't work out.

Ash said...

It will be interesting to see Preston's hair as he gets older. I love Linc's hair. We sure do get a lot of attention for it. Your camera must be nice because your pictures look great.

Haguewood Family said...

We've been trying to get to the zoo forever. It looks awesome. I never knew the little facts about giraffes...we learn something new everyday! BTW I love the pics of Preston. So cute.