Monday, February 9, 2009

Knee Surgery

Would you believe it?! Ryan has to have knee surgery--MAJOR knee surgery. Thanks to BYU indoor intramural soccer, my husband tore his ACL. But the really sad part is that he has been suffering from this undiagnosed injury for nearly a YEAR. Why, you might ask, was this injury not diagnosed? After all, he is married to a nurse. Well, I'll tell you. Did you know you can have a torn ligament in your knee and have no pain with walking, running, or anything requiring only forward motion. I didn't either. So after the physical therapist sent Ryan home after only one visit (saying he not longer needed any therapy at all!), we both thought he was fine.

That was until Ryan just kept getting injured. After jumping up to pull down his projector screen at work, he came down on it wrong and couldn't move it for over three hours. Then just recently, he reinjured it going up for a rebound in a ward basketball game. Needless to say, we had had enough and knew there was something more going on, so I arranged for Ryan to see an orthopedic surgeon. Within 15 seconds of the surgeon entering the room, he said he was 95% positive Ryan had a torn ACL, but would need an MRI to confirm it before doing surgery. And sure enough: a torn ACL and a VERY injured meniscus.

Ryan's surgery is scheuled for February 23. The sad thing is that he feels fine right now. Like I said, he can walk and run straight with no problems. So, it's pretty miserable for him to go into this surgery knowing he will have to be on crutches for about a month and then rehab the knee for 6-9 months before it is completely healed. Short-term loss, long-term gain, I guess. He is so active, it might just kill him to not play soccer for that long, but he'll just have to behave himself for awhile. :) Anyway, pray for him. We are pretty nervous about how everything will turn out.

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

how horrible- surgery is no fun, for anyone. GOod luck with everything- i'm sure everything will go smoothly. Good thing he will have his own personal nurse!

rabidrunner said...

Bummer. Will bring dinner.

Jennica said...

Matt just had his second ACL repair in Dec(he absorbed the first, freak). It is killing him that he is still on light duty and cant climb, cycle, mt bike, well pretty much anything he loves. The surgery really wasn't that bad and he was walking with a cane two days after and then only wearing the immobilizer 4 days after.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

Patty Sue Martin said...

Oh my heavens, Mitch is going to have to call to talk to Ryan he knows exactly what he is going through!! Mitch still has a tore ACL! Poor Ryan!!

Ash said...

So, this is random, but my mom's dog had to have his ACL repaired too. It seems to be a pretty common repair. He'll recover quickly I'm sure. Sad about Preston's haircut. I hated that. He does look handsome though. :)

Unknown said...

I'm sorry that he has to have knee surgery. I hope all goes well. I read your post on my blog about the puppets. We diddn't use a pattern we cut them out using felt. We put a liner in it using normal material. Then sewed the felt and the liner together and then had fun decorating them.

Olivia McCord said...

Kjell and my brother both had that surgery. Fortunately, neither have had any knee problems since then (and my brother skis practically everyday). Anyway, good luck!