Friday, July 13, 2007

Family Update

Well, I thought it would be nice to give an update on our busy lives. Since the last family update, Ryan has finished both his second semester of graduate school and a fast and furious Spring term where he somehow managed to get a 4.0 taking 7 graduate credits. Amazing! He also got his old job back at Lakeridge Junior High teaching French this coming school year, and the school was good enough to accommodate his need to be available in the afternoon to take his last required graduate class this Fall. What a blessing!

Ryan has continued to work part-time as a research assistant for the teaching department at BYU, and has devoted as much time as possible these past few weeks to working on his thesis. He also has been Adelyn's primary caregiver on the days that I work, so he doesn't ever get much of a break. But we just attended his 10-year high school reunion last month and fortunately he got a chance to play 18 holes of golf with his old buddies.

In his "spare time," Ryan has helped me get the house ready for our little boy's arrival. We painted the kids' room and redecorated to make it a boy/girl scheme. I made a quilt for our boy and some coordinating throw pillows for Adelyn's bed (some of my first sewing projects), and we moved the desk and bookshelf to our room to make room for a crib. I am pretty proud of how well we have managed to use our meager 830 square feet. I've found that it requires a little bit of creativity to fit four people comfortably into such a small place. But we've had so much fun making it work. Ryan and his dad also just put in laminate wood flooring throughout the whole front room and hall. It was a bit of a headache, but worth it. It looks really nice and having carpet in our dining room just wasn't working for us.

I officially have 11 days left until me due date (but who's counting?), and the plan is to continue working at the hospital until I go into labor. :) I am actually scheduled to work 4 days past my due date, but I have a feeling I'll go late, so it's fine. I am still in the Primary presidency and loving it. I think the Primary is the best calling in the world; the kids are so cute and full of light. Ryan was just recently released from Young Men's. It was a bitter/sweet change, but Adelyn and I are grateful to see more of him.

Well, we are feeling more and more ready to welcome another little member into our family and can't wait to meet him. Personally, I am so grateful that I will be able to stay at home with my two kids and just be a mom for awhile. I have this crazy fantasy that it is actually going to be easier than my life this past year juggling work, motherhood, and everything else. I'm probably in for a rude awakening. But we'll just have to see, I guess.

3 comments:

Tim said...

Advanced congratulations on the new family member! Out of curiosity, what brand flooring did they end up going with? How did it work out? \t
---
Visit laminate flooring | gig8, yes?

Ash said...

It's good to hear what you guys are up to. I remember those anticipation days all to well. Does every single stranger you see ask if you are about to pop? How funny. Having babies is the greatest. Of course I only have one so I don't really know what you're in for... good luck :)

Barb said...

Hey Julia! I miss talking more! I am so excited for you and your little family expansion! You are going to be an amazing mother of 2 I am sure. Good luck with everything! Can't wait to see pictures when he comes!